Intrastate Motor Carrier Permit

Department of Transportation


For-hire motor carriers transporting household goods, bulk liquid commodities (both dairy and non-dairy), or property other than passengers with the trip originating and destination both being in Iowa (intrastate).

Code Citation IC 325A

Who Applies Any motor carrier operating intrastate for-hire must have this permit. For-hire means being compensated in some manner for performing the transportation service.

When To Apply Before transporting begins.

Initial Requirements Insurance–For-hire motor carriers must maintain continuous insurance coverage (Form E Certificate of Liability Coverage). Liquid non dairy carriers need a financial statement. Tariff–Motor carriers of household goods must file a tariff. A tariff is a listing of the rates you propose to charge for transporting the household goods. Safety Education Seminar–Carriers of liquid (non-dairy) and passengers (16 or greater including driver), both charter and regular route are required to attend. The seminar must be completed within six months of issuance of the permit. USDOT number–All intrastate motor carriers operating for-hire are required to have a U.S. DOT number. An application (MCS-150) must be completed if the carrier does not already have a U.S. DOT number.

Duration Upon receipt of the completed application, fees and all supporting documents.

Processing Time Up to one week.

Fee Structure New Permit Application: $150 Safety Education Seminar: $200 Permit Update: $25

Renewal Requirements Does not pertain.

Exam Does not pertain.

Additional Information None.

Services Provided

Service Category

  • Service SubCategory
Contact Information
Customer Services Bureau
6310 S.E. Convenience Blvd
Ankeny, IA 50021