Fuel Tax License

Iowa Department of Revenue


License authorizing any person to act as the following: 1) A supplier, restricted supplier, importer, or blender of motor fuel or special fuel; 2) A dealer or user of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or compressed natural gas (CNG); or 3) An exporter, eligible purchaser, eligible purchaser end user, storage facility, and transportation company in this state.

Code Citation IC 452A

Who Applies See form 80-001.

When To Apply Before beginning operations in Iowa.

Initial Requirements A supplier, restricted supplier, importer or blender license is required to file tax return electronically on eFile & Pay system. Electronic payment is also required. A LPG or CNG dealer or user license is required for each place of business or location where liquefied petroleum gas or compressed natural gas is delivered or placed into the fuel supply tank of a motor vehicle. An applicant for an exporter\’s license must provide proof of licensure in the state or states into which the motor fuel will be exported.

Duration The license is valid until canceled by the licensee or revoked by the Department of Revenue.

Processing Time Four to six weeks.

Fee Structure No fees.

Renewal Requirements Does not pertain.

Exam Does not pertain.

Additional Information None.

Services Provided

Service Category

  • Service SubCategory
Contact Information
Motor Fuel Tax Section
1305 E. Walnut St
Des Moines, IA 50319